Are you tired of looking into the mirror and seeing yellow-brown teeth? Discolored and stained teeth can be really embarrassing. In fact, many people find it very difficult to go out and socialize because of yellowed teeth, but there is no need to worry about this anymore.
Effectively restore the color of teeth
The team at James Fitzgerald Dental is one of the most trusted teeth whitening experts in Brisbane, CA. We have helped many people across San Francisco get back their sparkling white teeth with a quick, teeth whitening treatment.
Why do teeth discolor?
- You have a diet high in tannins, which are chemicals that discolor teeth
- You are a heavy smoker
- You eat and drink a lot of sugary and fizzy foods and beverages
- You are genetically predisposed to have discolored/stained teeth
- You brush too hard or grind your teeth often and the enamel on your teeth is thinning down, making the yellow dentin visible
- You are on specific medication which is discoloring your teeth
Teeth whitening can help you reverse the staining caused because of the above reasons.
Is teeth whitening the same as teeth cleaning?
No, they’re different procedures. Teeth whitening is a cosmetic treatment intended to restore your teeth’s pearly white appearance. If you want complete teeth cleaning done, just let us know and our specialists will first clean your teeth and then do the whitening.
How do our dentists whiten your teeth?
Dr. James Fitzgerald and his team of board-certified dentists can help you reverse the effects of age, lifestyle, and medication and restore your bright, white teeth.
The process starts with our dentists protecting your gums, by applying a layer of a specially-formulated gum shield gel. Then, we apply a thick layer of dental whitening agent on your teeth. This paste contains a 25% to 40% hydrogen peroxide concentration. This compound has the ability to break apart chromogens which are discoloring not only your teeth’s enamel but also the dentin, thereby reducing the discoloration.
The paste is left on your teeth for about 20 minutes and heat from a special device is directed towards your teeth. This increases the effect of the paste. After the 20 minute period is over, our dentists will carefully and thoroughly clean the toothpaste.
Results after the treatment
You will be able to see an immediate difference in the appearance of your teeth after the whitening. Your teeth will look significantly brighter and whiter than before. Light stains will have disappeared and darker stains will have reduced in appearance tremendously, becoming barely visible. We will give you customized teeth whitening trays to take home with you, so you can do a follow-up whitening treatment. This will supplement the results of the in-clinic teeth whitening.
Caring for your teeth after teeth whitening
Of course, it’s important to remember that the results of the teeth whitening aren’t permanent. You will need to follow these steps to preserve your fresh, sparkling white teeth:
- Stop consuming coffee, tea, soda, and other fizzy or sugary drinks
- Avoid eating foods high in sugar
- Consciously try to stop grinding your teeth, to prevent wearing out your teeth’s enamel
- Don’t consume anything too hot or cold, since this can cause pain and discomfort after teeth whitening
- Stop/reduce smoking
- Wear teeth guards if you play contact sports (this will prevent injuries to your enamel and dentin)
- Consult your physician and ask them to prescribe alternative medications (if available), which don’t discolor teeth
- Don’t consume foods that contain tannins, such as grapes, apricots, blueberries, apples, basil, rosemary, etc.
Our team of experts, led by Dr. James Fitzgerald is always available if you need any advice. Feel free to contact us for more information.